well at least you would be the one showing commitment and if the HR guy or hiring guy, whoever it is, drops the ball then at least you have been professional and shown enthusiasm and follow-up etc. which are traits you need to have when dealing with customers.  It would be one thing to be whining about being passed over but in this case the guy basically said they would hire you, and then left you hanging, so you are just making sure something has not fallen in the cracks, or trying to find out the story.  You could always frame it as you have put other things on hold given their supposed commitment but now you have to move forward if they are not going to blahblahblah

--FT