Steve MacSween wrote:
Well, last night I had a chance to test out the SD on a longer highway run
than usual, on one of the hottest days we've had this year, on a 45-minute
blast up a nice rural route at about 70-80 mph to a farm BBQ.

Good news: on the way up, in ambient temps of approx. 80 deg, temp gauge
stayed absolutely flat at about 98 -- even on hilly sections.

HOWEVER, on the way back (2am), when it was down to about 55-60 deg or so, I
was noticed with some alarm that at one point I was up to about 118 on the
gauge. This is stupid, I think to myself.

So I pulled over and watched the gauge, and then realized that this
run-hot-in-lower-ambient-temps deal seems to be a red herring as even with
the gauge way up toward the red I was still showing 1.2 bar oil pressure at
idle, in gear. (That is normal for my car in normal operating temp range, if
it were at 118 I would be down to .85 bar.)

SO THE POINT OF MY STORY, is that it would appear this ambient temp thing is
a sensor/wiring anomaly.

SO MY QUESTION IS, is this a noted failure pattern for the temp sensor? By
the yardstick of common sense, I don't for the life of me see how ambient
temps would affect a sensor stuck in the head.

Or should I look elsewhere? There was frayed sheathing on the wiring to the
sensor, but that was fixed weeks ago.

What oil are you running? Mobil 1 should NOT thin out like that!!

Marshall
'87 300TD 182Kmi, '85 190D 2.0 161Kmi, '87 190D 2.5 turbo 237kmi, '84 190D 2.2 229Kmi (retired)