P3 Orion is the military version of the Lockheed Electra II, and the C-130
Hercules is the high wing version (different fuselage, essentially the same
wing).

It was designed as the "first class service" airplane when jets were not
reliable enough for passenger plane use, I think around 1952.  I think the
Hercules went into service in 54, but I would be wrong.

As a result of the expected competition for jet service, the Electra was VERY
powerful for the time, I think those turbo-props are 4000 shp or so.  It flew
at 470 or 480 mph at 45,000 ft, although usual operations were more like 20,000
I think due to fuel consumption.  Not a whole lot slower than the 707 or DC-8,
neither of which were speed demons.

NOT the worlds most comfortable planes, they shook like hell and the wings
visibly "flapped" in flight, especially at low speed.  Delta had their first
class cabin in the rear, it was the quietest part of the plane.  Only airplane
I ever got close to getting airsick on.

On the other hand, as CR Smith, the founder of American said, you had to be an
idiot to crash one.  Barring mechancial failures, all you ever had to do to get
out of trouble was open the throttles and pull up, it had tremendous power at
low speeds due to the props.  It is possible to make a normal landing in one a
full landing weight, then open the throttles after touchdown and fly it off the
runway.

I suspect you could fly it almost like a Hercules in an emergency -- hold the
nose down on the runway just past V2 and pull back on the stick -- the
Herkybird will climb at 45 degrees at full take-off weight doing that, probably
need a shallower climb to keep from slamming the tail on the runway on an
Electra.

P3s have some incredible on station air time, they are very fuel efficient at
submarine tracking speeds.

Being replaced with 737 variants, I suspect mainly because the are all getting
very old with incredible hours on them and no new parts, the Electra went out
of service in the early 70s and I don't think Lockheed made any past the late
60s/