Realistically a modern 350 can easily make more hp/torque than a '50s vintage
slow turning big Cadillac engine while using way less fuel and requiring way
less maintenance.
The 345ci 5.7l Hemi in my 2010 Dodge RAM made 390hp 407#ft from the factory.The
Cadillac 500 was only rated for 400hp and 500#ft in 1970 and of course it went
down after the emissions restrictions of the mid-'70s.
Interestingly the Caddy only weighs about 50# more...
The Ford 3.5l v6 ecoboost in the Raptor F150 is rated at 450/510 and comes in
at 100# less (about 20%!). In the Ford GT the same engine is turned up to
660/550 although it spins faster to make that extra power.
The technology in modern engines is amazing and a lot of it is available to
home gamers. Check out the Independence build on Vice Grip Garage, he's got
Holley's aftermarket EFI on a big block Chevy with a supercharger...

-Curt

    On Friday, December 10, 2021, 12:31:47 PM EST, Randy Bennell via Mercedes