Should be easy enough to grind the corners off of a trowel to make one that does not dig in.

On 16/12/2021 5:53 PM, Dimitri Seretakis via Mercedes wrote:
I usually use a big taping knife but I’ve used a trowel/float too. You can also
use a swimming pool trowel which has rounded corners. The swimming pool trowel
minimizes the ridges left in the joint compound because there are no sharp
corners to dig into the mud. Look up Kirk Giordano on YouTube. He’s made
hundreds of videos on plastering of all types.
The first coat never looks good but after the second you’ll see progress. With
practice you’ll get good at it. After a third or fourth coat you’ll be ready
for a light sand and you’re done. Just use the regular pre-mixed joint compound
in the green and white 5 gallon pails.