I have an old (1950's) South Bend 10K lathe. It's worn out, the drive
gearing is jammed (have to advance the cutting bit by hand), but I love it!
I make parts to fit what I need, tools, alignment drifts, etc. It's a lot
of fun and I learn things every time I use it.
My son has one of the HF mini-lathes. He's had to do a lot of improvements
to it to make it usable, but he does good work with it within its size
limitations.
There are a ton of youtubes and websites supporting these tools. A milling
machine is next, after I get some projects out of the shop/hangar so I have
room for one.

On Sun, Dec 19, 2021 at 6:38 PM Andrew Strasfogel via Mercedes <
mercedes@okiebenz.com> wrote:

> Get a used one.  Might be US made and superior quality, cheaper as well.
>
> On Sun, Dec 19, 2021 at 7:16 PM Dimitri Seretakis via Mercedes <
> mercedes@okiebenz.com> wrote:
>
> > I’m pondering the idea of getting a machinist’s lathe. Never used one,
> > know nothing about them. Would use for I don’t know what yet but the idea
> > of making English wheel anvils, planishing hammer anvils and bead roller
> > dies seems appealing. I don’t want a huge monster but nothing too dinky
> > either. I’d also like to avoid ones made of chinesium if possible.
> > Obviously used US made would be best I think. Anyone have any experience
> > with this stuff?
> >
> > Sent from my iPhone

OK Don

pause and reflect." Mark Twain

“Basic research is what I’m doing when I don’t know what I am doing.”  Wernher
Von Braun
2013 F150, 18 mpg
2017 Subaru Legacy, 30 mpg
1957 C182A, 12 mpg - but at 150 mph!