I used to work along the tracks by the Amtrak office.  There were a number of
trains sitting on side rails chugging away day and night with nobody onboard.
Upon occasion one would be sitting and not running.  It was entertaining when
they tried to light it off.  Always a summer event.  Massive Delta engines
would sound as if somehow they used a howitzer shell to kickstart rotation.
Must have had APU that slowly spun the shafts up, compressing air and injecting
fuel and all the while this thing is farting like a mexican giant with belching
black clouds out the stack until it would light, but still had the shaking and
belch/fart staccato for five minutes until the engine was warmed up.  Then it
sat puffing/purring along for a few days.  At least I thought it was the same
engine/train when I showed up to work the next day.

Clay