400A is a bit high, but is that the peak?  What is it,
more or less steady-state, _while_ cranking?  Is the
update rate of the meter such that it's readable then?

I like the Fluke, in part because it's very quick to update,
unlike my $3 HF in-car meters.  It also has an analog scale
that updates much faster than the digits do.  Handy for
readings that move.  Next best thing to an analog meter
for watching the wigglies.

Diesels draw more than gassers, both because there
is something like a 50-80A load from the glow plugs,
and because the 2x compression ratio takes more
ponies to turn over.  Initial current on GP's is even
higher.  Probably the same for the starter.

When in doubt, compare it to something similar that is
not having starting problems.  I have a record that a
240D draws 300+A when starting.

A major diagnostic is to be able to measure the voltage
drop, while cranking, between battery + and the starter
terminal, and battery - and the starter body.  Should be
very little measured voltage, and it should be pretty
symmetrical + vs -.

-- Jim