I recently found a 900VA APC UPS in the thrift stream,
unopened in its original box.  The box was dusty,
and looked 'old'.  As expected, the battery was NFG.
It's a 24V pack, open-circuit.  I clipped an old consumer
battery charger (leak generator) to it.  This high-tech
tool uses a diode in series with a 4W night light bulb
to convert line voltage into charging current.  The point
is that it starts out with very high voltage into such a
badly-sulfated battery, 80+V by my measure, and was
able to force in a dribble.  The lamp filament was barely
glowing at first.

Once the voltage got down to about 25V I switched over
to a 30VDC power supply in series with a Heathkit square
wave generator, which was pumping in a very ringy 100kHz
square wave according to the oscilloscope.  After 2 weeks
the square wave is 'flat', though the rings are still there.  The
battery has recovered enough that the UPS will now pass
its self-test, though I have yet to actually try a load on it.

-- Jim