Design and build one on a 123 platform.  Buy a Tesla battery pack (or Pious or whatever motors and batteries those guys were scrounging from old forklifts) and the associated electronics, maybe use a little 1- or 2- cyl diesel for the charger since those are cheap and plentiful, and go everywhere (free veggie oil!).  A turbine would be interesting but if I recall they are not particularly fuel efficient, and the gearbox would be needed to get it down to generator speeds.  Or maybe there are packaged APUs from airplanes that are already engineered to do that, pop one of those in?  Some calculations would be involved in engineering the thing but the idea is intriguing.

Or go talk to Elon and plant the seed in his brain?  I vaguely recall MB looking at diesel-electric hybrids some years ago and they were dismissed for reasons I don't recall, but it sorta made sense at the time. aside from all the fancy stuff in their cars.

--FT