> We’ve had the car since new. No deep-seated emotional attachment to it.

Something to be said for following the "severe duty" maintenance cycle. I'm
guilty of that at times too.

> Get it fixed or sneakily trade it in on something else?

I'd sell it outright, or to CarMax.
Private party, I'd be honest about it's faults.
CarMax?
Caveat emptor.
I'd take the cash and buy something with a proven track record for reliability.
Which probably means a soulless econo-box. I would most definitely NOT be
taking on a payment.

Or if I was retired and wanted a project, I would fix it myself.

Rick