Were it me, I'd put a standard 220V welder socket in the garage (or wherever),
Buy the mating plug, and a suitable length of cable, and replace the cord
on the welder with it.  Buy a second socket and a drop box, and use the
welder's original cable to make a 110->220 adapter, so you can continue
to use the welder on a 110V outlet.  Done, and safe.  Any other 220V appliance
you fed 110V this way would be underwhelmed perhaps, but unlikely to die or
start a fire.  (Completely the opposite of what their adapter can do.)

(And, if you were to ever come up with a Miller or other _nice_ welder,
you have a place to plug it in already.)

Alternately, just ignore 220V and enjoy your welder as-is.

I would bury that start-a-fire adapter that came with the welder somewhere
it would never see the light of day again.  Perhaps destroy it first, then send
it to the recycler's.  WORST IDEA EVER!

I put a 220V outlet in the barn, as a kid.  It was for the hay elevator.  It was
a standard outlet, as a standard plug was what was on the elevator, and we
used a standard extension cord to feed it.  I re-strapped the motor to 220V,
as we were plagued by the inability to feed it enough current on 110V.  (That
really perked the old girl up.)  To avoid tragedy, this outlet was on a ceiling
joist,
overhead, and had "220V" painted on the plate.  Hard to reach.  Best I could
do, without incurring a significant expense for all-new 220V stuff.  No
tragedies yet, in the 40+ years since.

-- Jim