> switching the battery "off" removes it from all current draws

Once upon a time you didn't need such things.  My Falcon, for example,
lacking a clock and having the old relay-style generator voltage regulator,
has ZERO parasitic current draw when sitting.  (Make sure the battery top
is clean, that's the worst leak point there.)

Alternators, for example, rely upon the quality of the reversed junctions
in the rectifiers to keep from sucking the battery down when not generating.
Minuscule leakage, generally, but not zero.  Throw a clock, or a computer
into the mix and you pretty much MUST have a disconnect then.

I've been putting those screw-down disconnects in the ground leads on
our stored cars.  The rated current is inadequate, but that's because they
have an insulator and run all the current through the screw.  If you peel it
off they make full face contact, increasing the current capacity, but it does
mean you have to remove the screw fully and separate the halves to cut
off.  Hence doing it in the ground side, where the 'free-balling' halves can't
get into too much trouble while disconnected.

-- Jim