Thinking strictly from the structural engineer's point of view, since this
part is a known failure point, and lives under constant stress because of
the belt tensioner, I would suggest you go with a new part rather than an
"inplace thread replacement" scheme.
Cost wise, the repair kit costs more than the new part, with sketchy
results very possible. So to my thinking, time cost wise, the better return
is to pull the front of the car apart to gain access and replace the cover
along with a new idle pulley assembly.. done and dusted.. [while you have
it off, have a look at the timing chain and tension parts.. ]