From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
On Behalf Of Kevin J. Slater
Sent: Wednesday, June 07, 2006 9:20 AM
To: Mercedes Discussion List
Subject: Re: [MBZ] need advice & A possibly entertaining story.

Part of that trip reminds me of a trip I took from State College to Virginia
Beach one night while attending Penn State. The rest of my family was down
there at a house along the beach and I wanted to join them. My car at the
time was an old Austin Marina 4 door, 4 cylinder, 4 speed.
Sometime after I left I lost the brakes or at least most of them. Since I
was driving in the very early morning during the week on mostly 2 lane roads
through the countryside, I made it without incident. REALLY STUPID, REALLY
FORTUNATE (God's grace if you ask me) and I hope my own kids are smarter
than that.

...Kevin

John Berryman said:

>       This is why I ship UPS, Fed-Ex, etc. I sometimes ship my luggage and

> personal effects to travel destinations and travel real light on the
> plane. I had my luggage misplaced and as a result, had to spend a
> couple of days in a hotel in New Orleans. On the airline's tab, meals
> and drinks included.
>       This was when I bought a 300CD from Jason Stearn. It was the day
> after Christmas 2001 when I flew out, they had just started checking
> peoples shoes for explosives. I was checked. Being right after
> 9/11/01 their was a lot of tension regarding security. I knew I was'nt
> getting on the plane carrying tools and license plates. All legal
> paperwork and stickers were in there too. I NEVER, EVER checked
> luggage up to then and since. The airline delivered it to the hotel
> intact.
>       It was an adventure from the start. There was noise, sounded like
the
> diff was gonna blow, it didn't change no matter how I hammered it so I
> sucked it and kept moving. I'm heading out of Baton Rouge to the
> Adirondack Region of NY (note the date). I did'nt realize that there's
> no heat until.......yup, you got it. There right rear caliper blew.
> Brakes, who needs 'em?
>       I'm running all Interstates all 90-95mph until Tennessee, they'll
> tolerate 80-85 in a 75. The driver's seat is shot, BAD and there's a
> nasty winter storm coming. If I drive straight through, with no sleep
> I can miss the worst of it. Did I mention window regulator broke
> leaving  the window jammed in a cocked position? Well any way, I'll
> have some nice crisp air to help keep me awake, no time to fix, gotta
> beat the storm. Worn Michelin MXVs don't do much on snow and ice.
>       You should always behave while driving through Virginia, somehow
this
> always slips my mind. The weather got uncooperative in Northern Va.
> and stayed that way for the duration of the adventure. It was a weak
> attempt at a "Wintery Mix" but still enough to keep one from becoming
> bored riding on those skins. The Norther I go the Colder and icier it
> gets. I'm getting a hint of warm air to the defroster vents so I had
> some de-icing capability and a somewhat clear area for forward vision
> most of the time.
>        I- 81 through Pa was no day at the beach, the icy hilly roads are
> unforgiving and cause massive pile-ups, often with resultant
> fatalities. Those familiar can give testimony to that. Fate would have
> it, as I crest a hill I see about 1/4mile ahead that there's a car on
> its side , half on the median and two young guys who stopped to help.
> I was driving way ahead of myself and keeping the speed real sane but
> it was a real challenge to get her stopped on front brakes only and
> those lovely tires.
>       The kids waved me on saying help was on the way and no one was
> seriously injured. In my mirror, I watch a 17 car pile-up as I drive
> [...]

"Thank God for Microsoft" -- Linus Torvalds