Woke up about 4:00 am because I swore I heard deer antlers against the
neighbor’s chain link fence. Looked out, couldn’t see anything, went back to
sleep.

Mrs. Dan comes in around 6:00 and says that youngest son wants to talk to me
about the deer stuck in the neighbor’s fence. Really?

Go outside to see a young doe that had tried to jump over a gate in the
neighbor’s chain link fence and gotten it’s right rear leg caught on the top of
the fence gate. From a distance it looked like the deer’s leg was caught in
some of the ornamental metal on the top of the gate. It didn’t appear to have
broken anything, but was clearly stressed and struggling to get loose.

As this is Arizona and lots of people have firearms, we didn’t want to go into
the neighbor’s back yard unannounced, as we didn’t want to approach the deer
from the front. The house next door is an Airbnb, so we knocked several times
but got no answer. There were clearly people in it as there were cars present
and some banners around the front door congratulating a grad (it’s graduation
weekend at NAU).

We then realized we could get into their yard where a portion of the fence had
collapsed near the end of the property where it adjoins mine, so we climbed
over with some tools and a blanket to toss over the deer’s head to calm it
while we worked.

When we got close to it, we realized that it’s hoof was caught between the
chain link and top bar of the gate, so I crept back to the garage and got a
small bolt cutter.

I crept back, staying as low as possible to avoid the deer’s vision, came up
behind it and the fence, cut the chain link and freed the deer. It bounded off
in pretty good shape, leaving a little blood and fur behind.

Damned thing didn’t even say “Thank you”, but what do you expect from Bambi
when she came from a broken home?

-D