I defer to your field experience in dealing with individuals who experience
such internal disorders of thought then act out.
I raise concern because the current human herd seems to have found some
sort of cumulative cognitive dissonance that permeates thought, action, and
core belief, yet gives license to act in violent ways, both by word and
action.
If I were studying in the field of psych and writing a Doctoral Thesis, I
would consider the subject of the shift that is happening between
"individual crazy" to "group crazy" [layman terms] and how that is or has
caused a cultural shift worldwide.