Turns out that there is no used hydraulic cylinder market, people either
fix 'em forever or throw away the unrepairable ones and replace them.

I thought I saw some at Boeing Surplus the other day, but I wouldn't
swear by it.

I overstated the case, but I was contacting local hydraulic cylinder
repair places, as avoiding shipping of heavy objects would be part
of the money-saving equation.  I'd need something in the 4-5 inch
by 24-36 inch range, double-acting, in order to remain reasonable.
(Weight, size, and operating speed that is.)

I can buy new for something in the $180-225 range, plus tax and
shipping as appropriate.  Not horrible, of course, but it all
does add up.  And I'd still need to figure out how to tap into
the Mog crane's hydraulic system cleanly.

-- Jim