I have a 87 300SDL, I'm wondering what might cause the number 5 fuse to blow when I put the car in reverse, it only blows then,
I can start the car in neutral and select drive and its ok.

Shorted backup light bulb.
Bad neutral safety switch (on tranny).

I also have another problem that my blinkers and flasher do not function this is control by the #2 8 amp fuse which is good because my clock functions.

Cycle the hazard switch a whole bunch of times.  They get dirty,
this takes out one or both functions.  Disassembly and cleaning
is common here.  If bad enough, replacement is required.

-- Jim