My Crapsman air compressor regulator has apparently failed. It seemed fine
until yesteday, I had disconnected the hose at the compressor, and when I
reconnected it of couse it had to pressurize the hose. I don't know why that
might have caused a problem but it's now leaking air and the regulator gauge
shows the same pressure as the tank pressure. If I turn off the compressor, the
pressure stabilizes at about 60 PSI for the tank and regulator.

Thinking of just swapping it out with a HF regulator. Or is there another brand
that would be worth paying for?

https://www.harborfreight.com/150-psi-air-compressor-regulator-kit-with-dial-gauge-68223.html