A lot, if not most, North American cars of that vintage were pretty much junk. The cars from the 1960's were better. We had a 1977 Monarch. It was not a good car. Don't really know if the comparable Chevy was any better but we test drove a Nova at the time and thought the interior on it really looked and felt cheap. The Monarch was underpowered and didn't handle all that well but the interior looked and felt fairly good and it served us reasonably well for a long while. I think we had it for about 13 years. We bought it new and drove it while I was in university. It became a second car in about 1984 and we finally sold it in about 1990. We had very few issues with it. The only thing that was a bit troublesome was the old style power steering. I think I replaced one piece of it 3 times.

Randy