I think I have the following story correct and not backwards:

Some folks we knew from out at the lake drove big station wagons. A series of Pontiacs as I recall but one year, they showed up in a Dodge. The reason was that they could not get all of the options they wanted unless they opted for the car with the fake woodgrain on the sides (ala Country Squire by Ford) and he did not want the woodgrain. He tried to convince the dealer that he should be able to get the base car with the options but finally gave up and went where he could get what he wanted.

Randy