Some good points, Greg, thanks for the insight.

One of my concerns when it comes to socialized medicine is more a matter of the
ability for everyone to have access to free or inexpensive medical care. It may
not be timely, which seems to be a common thread in these systems both in
Canada and the UK from my experience, but at least it’s available to every
person at little to no cost.

I see the person serving up my burger or even my oldest son, who still doesn’t
have medical coverage through his employer, and think about how they’re just
one emergency away from bankruptcy. I took my oldest son to a local walk-in
clinic on Monday to be treated for COVID and get Paxlovid, and the charge for
the office visit alone was $135. Had he gone to my internist’s medical practice
it would have been more like $275. Fortunately, the Paxlovid was free, but
still, for someone working for $15 or even $20 an hour $135 is a HUGE amount of
money. Lucky for him he does a good job saving and budgeting, so he had it, but
how many people don’t? And I’m not talking about people who are indigent, I’m
talking about a large swath of our society.

There is a large contingent of Canadians that “invade” Florida on a seasonal
basis, and they hit the health care system heavily when they’re here. My mother
in law complains about how tough it is to get a doctor’s appointment between
October and April because of the influx of Canadians in her area.

-D