> what sort of paint stripper?

Something I had already, in a gallon can.  Whatever will remove varnish.

> wipe it on and use a brush of some sort to take it off?

I pour it on the back and push it around with a stick.  Don't let any
drip through holes in the board, or drip around the outside.  You don't
want ANY of it on the components themselves.  It could ruin them, and
will certainly deface them so you can't tell what they are supposed to be.

Once it's had time to work, crinkling up the varnish, you

> rinse with water and a bit of dish soap and then with just water?

wash it off, scrub with a brush and rinse thoroughly, then blow-dry
with compressed air.

Now you're ready to solder.

-- Jim