The oil level circuit board in the instrument panel may beginning to go
haywire.  I fixed this problem by swapping in a later model fuel/oil/coolant
gauge cluster, which contains that circuit.  I think this is a fairly common
failure mode.  Mine presently comes on just when the oil level reaches the
lowest mark on the dipstick, but it used to do it whenever I made a sharp
lefthand turn.