I can’t speak for other states, but in Florida, a “rebuilt” title refers to a
car that was reassembled/repaired from a total loss and inspected by the state
to confirm roadworthiness.

“Salvage” is the branding given to cars that have been totaled or considered a
total loss by the insurer due to the cost of repair, but considered repairable.

My former 1996 SL500 had a rebuilt title because it was written off as a total
loss in CA and the remains purchased by the PO and restored and then inspected
and a rebuilt title issued by the State of Florida. I’ve owned cars with
salvage titles, too. Not a big deal in a lot of cases, but my insurer
(Allstate) says they won’t insure cars with rebuilt or salvage titles. Worst
case, they won’t cover comprehensive or collision on a car with a branded title
due to the diminished value.

-D