Here’s what the Florida HSMV (DMV) says:

"Florida has been a title state since 1923, but the motor vehicle laws in other
states or countries may require different documentation as proof of ownership.
If the seller does not have a valid title, check with a local motor vehicle
service center for specific instructions."

Hmm. That’s clear as mud. Next time I’m in the office I may pop down to the tax
collector’s office and ask them what the deal is with a car that has no tittle.
There’s got to be a way to deal with it.

-D