Will that work on a car with clear coat?

On 11/17/2022 9:13 PM, Rick Knoble via Mercedes wrote:
Repost for Kaleb.

Rick

From: mercedes@okiebenz.com
Sent: November 13, 2022 6:58 PM
To: mercedes@okiebenz.com
Cc: buggeredbenzm...@gmail.com
Subject: Re: [MBZ] 400E paint

You’ll need some stuff

Random orbit variable speed buffer— I got one off Amazon, was not too much and
works great, a kit
Foam pads of different “coarseness” — these are different colors and used for
the different polishing steps, I think some were with the buffer kit but I also
bought more
Buffing and polishing stuff. I got a package of Meguiars that had clay bars,
buffing compound, polish, and finishing wax. These are the four steps.

Wash the car well. I washed it yesterday so just went over the hood again and
left the soapy water on it. Get the clay bar and start in on the paint. This
thing felt really rough like 300grit sandpaper. Took quite awhile to get it
knocked down. I have a spray bottle of soapy water too to keep it wet and
lubricated. Watch the clay bar to make sure the crap from the paint isn’t
whatever works. Keep at it until the paint feels smooth.

Wash off the clay bar stuff and dry off the work area. Get your coarsest pad
and put some dabs of the buffing compound on it. On this single stage paint I
spent quite a bit of time on it. The compound is not too aggressive so I’m not
actually sure how much paint it took down. The pad didn’t turn black so not
much I guess. On clear coat you’d have to be more careful.

Wipe that stuff off (it dries like wax does) then do the same with polish and a
lighter pad.

Wipe that off then do the final step with the wax and the lightest pad.

This is not a fast process. To do a whole car would take all day esp if the
paint is damaged or grungy. I do bits at a time over different days. It’s kinda
tiring too, even if the machine is doing the work you have to work it all
around.

The results are pretty amazing. The 040 black CL500 came out looking amazing
and this 400E is also going to look really good. The final finish is really
smooth and a lot of imperfections come out. It’s not a miracle but can really
improve the appearance of a car. The wax step holds up well too as there is not
a rough finish under it.

--FT
Sent from iFōn

On Nov 13, 2022, at 5:24 PM, Kaleb Striplin via Mercedes