Absolutely do NOT use ether on that engine — at best you will just kill the
starter.  Ether ignites well before TDC on a 21:1 compression ratio engine, and
driving the piston up into a full power ignition will surely overheat the
starter windings!  It will NOT start on ether.

No propane either, same issue.

Crack the lines and make sure you have fuel — a clogged filter or leaking
suction line (there are several) or leaking pre-heater will prevent starting.

Peter