On Jun 17, 2006, at 3:53 PM, Peter Frederick wrote:

 If not, probably the head.  If
it does, definitely the cable.

Or in rare instances, the gear in the tranny. Or the bolt backed out and spit the cable. Luckily it's all simple to diagnose. Was your speedo bouncing, especially at lower speeds? Any new leaks under the car? Just pull the instrument cluster and if the speedo cable is attached, unscrew it then unplug the necessary wires and finish removing. Pull the inner cable out and inspect it. Both ends should be square and no fraying evident. If the cable appears to be intact, the drive gears can be verified by either driving the car while watching the cable spin (or not). It may seem to jump between pauses, that would indicate missing teeth. Spinning the speedo will verify its operation. I have a short length of speedo cable that I chuck-up in a portable drill for this purpose but you can spin it with your fingers too.

Johnny B.
I Mac Therefore I am