On Jun 18, 2006, at 11:26 AM, Frederick Moir wrote:

To quote those much smarter than me:- "There ain't no such thang as a cheap Mercedes!"
  BUT, I LOVE IT!
  Happy Day.
  Fred Moir

I beg to differ. I once bought a 300CD for $1 from some wacky MB diesel addict and drove it over 35,000mi to within .003" of its demise. I still plan on driving it from Stuart, Fl to Vanleer, Tn (with a really bad half-shaft), where it will either be used as a local beater or a parts warehouse. Then there is "The $100 car" which gave even longer better service with minimal outlay for parts/repairs. This one is going to be my daily driver again real soon. Then there is the 1982 300D that I got as a gift and again, with very little outlay put over 65,000mi on it before making a long-term loan to a close friend. He put another 20,000 or so on it before the driver's seat fell through the floor.

        Who else here has a similar experience(s)?

Johnny B.
I Mac Therefore I am