Gee, I remember about 20 years ago being in an evacuation of a good
sized chunk of a town in upstate NY when the ammonia cycle system at the
cold storage I was delivering to sprung a leak. Couldn't go near the
place for a couple of days till it was *safe* ( and we were still
choking anywhere near the place )
Those systems work great, but.......

Yeh Yeh Yeh , ammonia is nasty stuff however when there is a leak requiring an evacuation in an ammonia plant one is usually talking about a big refrigerator that could have thousands (or more) of gallons of ammonia in it. I know that an absorption refrigerator uses two gases, ammonia and hydrogen and are still used in the RV market. So it is not unprecedented in a 'mobile environment'. Would a car need so much ammonia that that the hazard could not be contained?

George Larribeau
Dallas, Texas

1985 300SD 190K