Great LA story:

When I was traveling for work I worked with a couple of WI natives that were
not very worldly. One of them was responsible for consumer products, i.e., RV
generators, so they got tapped to go to a big national RVIA show that’s held at
Dodger Stadium every year. Never having been to LA before, they were asking me
about places to see other than the obvious stuff like Hollywood.

“You gotta see the Watts Tower, man, it is soooo cool! On the National Register
of Historic Places, etc., etc. Don’t miss that for anything!”

Long story short, there was a very, very white guy wandering around East LA and
Watts trying to find the Watts Tower in a late model Lincoln Town Car rental.
(This was when airbags were just starting to be used, so we always got cars
with airbags like Lincoln Town Cars when we rented.) He said he had to pull
into a gas station to get directions and the locals looked at him like he was
nuts.

Hee. Amazing he didn’t get robbed or killed. He never asked me for travel
advice after that, either. Too bad, as I was trying to find someplace in
Compton to send him next time...

-D

On Feb 7, 2023, at 6:04 PM, M. Mitchell Marmel