Well, I haven't officially clocked the 0-60mph time, but I'm thinking it's
under 20 seconds.  It certainly doesn't feel REAL slow on a flat surface.
The only time it's a problem is catching the big hills at slow speeds.  This
particular hill is probably something like a 600-800' rise over a little
more than a mile, so I would call it pretty steep.  And if there weren't a
tight turn with parked cars which is in town at the bottom, I could probably
hold a faster speed if I could get up there.  But since I can't get going
more than maybe 35mph, that's as fast as I can hold it.
It certainly seems to be revving high enough in 1st, it's something like
4500rpm when it shifts... (the tach is intermittent)  (I've got a speedo out
of a late 70's 300D, so the gear notches aren't the same as mine).

I am tempted to take a look at the Alda though.  I've heard it mentioned
lots of times, but I've never gotten around to actually figuring out where
it is (I know it's more or less on the back of the IP) and how exactly to go
about adjusting it.  Is there one set of directions that are the best to
use?

Levi

On 6/21/06, Jim Cathey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hmm, then either my 83' 300D is an odd combination or there's some
> other
> reason, 'cause when it shifts from 1st to second, it definitely drops
> out of
> the turbo's range.  I've got a hill that sucks, 'cause it will rev
> right up
> through 1st no problem, but as soon as it hits second it will *almost*
> hold
> its own at about 30-35mph, but generally drops back to first gear, and
> repeats.  (depending on whether I engage the drop-down and/or if the
> A/C is
> on.)  Personally I would much rather have a stick...  It certainly
> couldn't
> be any worse shifting.  (:

Something sounds wrong.  How's the 0-60 time?  Your ALDA may need a bit
of
a tweak to gain back a bit of low-RPM torque that has been lost due to
spring fade (inside IP) and the general debility of age.  Is the shift
from 1-2 at around the correct RPM?  (Not too much lower, when floored,
than the single orange pip on the speedometer scale.)  It should take
a heck of a hill to faze the 120 HP of a correctly running OM617A in
second gear.

-- Jim