Yes, but it was about $500 and it has a relatively new transmission. Engines are generally pretty good these days and if it has had regular service, it should go a bit further.

Randy

On 14/03/2023 4:46 PM, Rick Knoble via Mercedes wrote:
I like old Chevys, but that is a LOT of miles.

Rick

From: mercedes@okiebenz.com
Sent: March 14, 2023 2:52 PM
To: mercedes@okiebenz.com
Cc: buggeredbenzm...@gmail.com
Subject: [MBZ] I can't pass it up

This friend of mine has a 97 Suburban with like 350kmi on.  She has
always had it stealer serviced since new.  Put in a new transmission 4
or 5 years ago and had lots of other stuff done with it.  It's actually
in pretty decent shape, no rust, body good, clear coat peeling, good
tires, tow package, but has a few little issues, nothing fatal. It's the
same colors as my 96 pickup that was my dad's so hard to tell them
apart. It looks nice.

A year or so ago she bought a GLK and had this thing parked at the Vast
Estate while she bought a new house away from here, moved, all that.  So
a few weeks ago she decides she wants to get the Sub fixed up as a spare
and I drove it to the stealer again.  It was not a high priority so it
sat a bit, they finally got to it, did an oil change and diagnostic on
stuff, $278.  They came up with a $3500 estimate for radiator, hoses,
(it is slowly leaking some coolant from somewhere) belt, and a few other
odds and ends.  Again nothing fatal but stuff that is reasonable to do.
Stealer pricing!

I had told her at some point she didn't need the thing but she had
nostalgia for it and wanted to keep it but this bill scared her off.
She offered it to her daughter who has no interest in it.  So today she
asks me if I still want it.  I tell her it depends on the number.  She
talks around it all a bit and I tell her she can let me know, we can go
get it, I'll keep it around, whatever.

She finally says $500.  We'll go get it, you can pay for the work, give
me the other $200whatever and it's yours.  Deal.  How could I pass that up.

So having just bought that GL450 for towing I'm thinking this old Sub
would be better so I should sell the GL on and use the Sub for towing.
Choices choices, but for $500...

--
--FT