In my experience with fluorescent lights, what fails first and most often
are the ballasts. Once they fail, or start to fail, the start circuit that
fires the fluorescent gas in the tubes to make light don't fire.
Thus my suggestion to make the conversion to full LED assemblies and be
done with the old fluorescents. You will be amazed at how much light the
LED's put into the shop.