You talk about binary throttle control, my wife does a form of binary
temperature control. E.g. on a winter day, she'll turn the heat all the way up
immediately, then when the car is warm she'll turn the fan all the way down but
leave the temp setting on Hi.

Also on a hot day it's full low on the temp setting for AC, then when she gets
too cold she turns the fan down.

I have tried to tell her "there's no heat until the engine warms up" and "just
set it at 72 and it will take care of itself" but whatever, I stopped getting
into arguments about this kind of stuff a long time ago.