On 20/04/2023 11:04 AM, Bob Rentfro via Mercedes wrote:
Even though it likely says in the flowery description, how/where do these
people find these things?
I’ll admit this is a favorite combo of mine every since my grandfather ordered
his second to last car, a 1976 Ford LTD two door, white with tan leather and a
tan, padded landau roof…with those opera windows of course.

AZBob

I knew a fellow who bought a new Lincoln Town Car around the early 70's - not certain of exact year. It was one of the huge Lincolns. White, with a white leather interior and a white vinyl top. Cannot recall if it was the landau part vinyl or full top - also had the opera windows I believe. A real land yacht but an absolutely beautiful car. It was almost new when it got totalled. He was travelling through Wisconsin sometime around late February or March when the spring thaw was in progress and some rocks rolled down a hill onto the highway. He dodged at least one but went over top of another. He nailed the rock with the oil pan, transmission pan and the rear end. The insurance company wrote it off. They were not prepared to replace the whole drive train.

His name was Floyd and he and his family had a cottage on the bay where we are on Lake of the Woods. They had an early cottage and then built a newer one some time around the early 1950's. My father helped build the 2nd one and did work for them on and off for many years, including docks, boat houses etc.  They had a cottage there from some time in the 30's or maybe 40's but had never been there in winter. They wanted to see it with snow so they drove up from Moline, Illinois and my father took them in to the cottage by snow mobile. They were just there for part of the day and then headed back south. They likely stayed over in International Falls, Minnesota and then headed south again the next day. This accident happened on their way home.

Poor old Floyd has been gone now for many years but we remember him and his family fondly. He owned the Shetter Fude Furniture Store in Moline, Illinois.

Randy