Randy,

I’m not sure how the laws work in Canada, but in the State laws governing
landlords and renters are done at the state level. Unfortunately, this means
that different states do things their own way. Some state’s laws favour the
landlord while others favour the renter.

In Florida they favour the renter, for example:

We were buying a house on a short sale (bank sale) and the owner had a renter
in the house. They were supposed to give the renter written notice to leave by
a certain date, which was just before closing. They did not do this. Four days
before we’re ready to close on the house, the renter lawyers up and tells the
owner they’re not leaving. Then they tell the realtor they want $5,000 to move
out at closing. The only way to resolve the situation would be through the
local court system, which even if we had prevailed, would have taken a minimum
of 2-3 months - and that’s if we won at each step in the process.

I would add that forcibly removing the renter/squatter without following the
legal process is against the law here.

We told the realtor to tell the squatter to stuff it and got our deposit back
the next day. The bank finally foreclosed a few months later and kicked the
squatter out in 24 hours (which a lienholder can do - a landlord can't.)

-D