A year or 2 ago I bought a bulk package of 100 valve stems off Amazon. They
have been fine near as I can tell except for my trailer. I put all new tires on
it right after I got it and as always I replaced the valve stems. Within the
last few months, maybe 6-8, I had a flat and noticed the valve stem on that
tire was cracking. Flexing it cause it to leak. I figured perhaps I didn’t
replace them like I usually do but after popping the tire off the bead the
inside of the valve looked new. I went ahead and replaced the valves on both
tires on that side. I checked the drivers side and I don’t recall the reason
but I don’t believe I replaced those. I’m sure they were not cracked. Anyway, I
was just out on the back 40 pulling the front bumper off the GL I still had
loaded on the trailer when I noticed the right rear tire was flat. Hauled the
jack out there to pull the week and got it in the shop. I noticed the valve
stems are severely cracked and leaking again. Both of them on that side.
Drivers side is also cracking but not nearly as bad. I think the right side
gets more sun than the left from where the trailer is usually parked. I guess
cheap valve stems do not last when exposed to sun.

I have not ran into the same issue with these on cars. Perhaps because they are
not sitting as frequently exposed to the sun as much.

I am preparing for a 1400 mile round trip in a couple of weeks so I am going to
replace the stems again. This got me to thinking about going with the metal
ones that are held in place with a nut. I would think these would practically
be lifetime deals.

Sent from my iPhone