LT Don wrote:
Ok, Marshall -- a question.

Assume that I now have a 50/50 mix of 5W-30 and 5W-40 in the engine. I agree
that the thinner 5W-30 will be consumed more quickly than the 5W-40, because
I noticed it on this weekend's 1100 mile trip.

But ... do I have the equivilent of 5W-35 in there, or will the 5W-30
eventually burn away leaving me with 5W-40 in time? In other words, how do
the two "mix" when they are in the same crankcase?

Disregard the fact that I will be adding 5W-40 as needed.

Mixing oil of different viscosities isn't a linear process I've been told. Most oil is a mix of different chain lengths (and thus different viscosities). One thing I can assure you of: if you mix 0W-40 and 15W-50 the resulting mix will be "thicker" then the 0W-40 and "thinner" than the 15W-50. As to which molecule will be consumed or ejected first - I have NO idea. When you have any mix of long and short chain oil, do the short chains go first?

All of these oils are superior to any other oil that I know of - far superior to ANY conventional (group I or II) or group III synthetic.

Marshall
'87 300TD 182Kmi, '85 190D 2.0 161Kmi, '87 190D 2.5 turbo 237kmi, '84 190D 2.2 229Kmi (retired)