When the sensors fail, does the car show some kind of alert or just stop
reporting on the tire pressure?

The '04 E500 had a low tire a week or two back and I never saw any warning
about it. I haven't checked it yet to see if I picked up a nail or what.... All
kinds of crap in the roads right now, it's peak road construction season. They
are building a bunch of new bike lanes here that nobody will use.