> I have a nice silver/gray 99E320 I would sell for $2600, about that many
> miles.  $3900 is stupid money but I'm sure he doesn't want to hear that

His mother's 4wd version was $2500 a few years ago.
But, prices in WA are at record highs.  For example, gas
is (I believe) the highest in the nation.  My last trip a week
ago I saw $5.29 levels.  (I filled up in Oregon, at $4.35 instead.)
Other things track.

The fact that this car has been for sale for awhile, and not
snapped out from under him, is a fair clue that it might be
overpriced.

But, I suppose he's got to make his own mistakes.  He's never
been willing to listen to good advice before.  He's been made
aware that ALL expenses (insurance, license, etc.) are on him
for this one.  He's more the absent-minded professor type.
Needs a keeper...

-- Jim