> And yes, now that we have the generator, it will probably be the calmest
> fall, winter, and summer in 100 years.

And isn't that what you want?  No electrical outages, regardless of 'cause'?

When Big Bertha's two batteries died, I replaced them.  Even though I've only
had to use that genny _twice_ since I got it usable in 2006.  It's ready to
run, and
that seems to prevent me needing to run it.  I didn't want to have to raid two
vehicles for starting batteries if we should need it again, though as often as
we
need it that wouldn't be that big a deal.  The hour meter (installed by me after
the rebuild) shows 8.6 hours.

I put two Battery Minders on them, and disconnected the intertie so they're
electrically
isolated from each other.  That's a quick changeover to running configuration
if/when.
(Unclip the tenders and insert the screw knob in the disconnect.)

(For those who don't know, Big Bertha is a 45kW 3-phase Hercules/Kohler from
the 1960's,
delivering about 26kW when wired zig-zag.  I paid $400 for it as government
surplus,
and put another $450 into a rebuild.  With tanks, hoses and miscellany I think
I'm into it for
about $1000 all told.)

For reference, TWO used batteries were $26 in 2006, and oil was $0.50/quart on
sale
at that time.  My, how times have changed!

-- Jim