-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Behalf Of Curt Raymond
Sent: Sunday, July 02, 2006 8:51 PM
To: Diesel List
Subject: [MBZ] Hmmm, missing oil.

So during the 7,000 miles I had the first dose of Mobil 1 in I had to add
less than 1 quart of oil and that was when I took a sample for analysis.
  Then the other day I notice some wierd oil on the hood just above the
headlight on the drivers side. I popped the hood but couldn't see any oil
other than the usual amount pretty much everywhere.
  Then yesterday driving into the Berkshires the low oil light came on. Well
thats interesting but the car doesn't leak oil (see above) so I didn't pay
it much mind and it went out.
  This morning returning from the Berkshires the light came back on and
persisted. We stopped for breakfast and after eating I checked and it was
down a quart. I topped up but the question remains where the hell did the
oil go? Furthermore how did the mystery oil get on the hood? I couldn't see
any oil lines there or anything obvious...

  One possible solution: Its I-90 from Springfield into the Berkshires,
gotta be some of the biggest, longest hills in MA. In fact we passed the
highest point on I-90 this side of South Dakota. At one point yesterday I
saw the temp gauge rise above its normal position for the first time since I
got the car. It usually sits just above 80C so that you can just see the top
of the 8 above the needle, probably 85-90C its hard to be precise on that
gauge. Yesterday it rose to the point I could see all of the 8 under the
needle. At which point I realized this was an excellent Italian Tuneup
oportunity and put the hammer down. We'd been crusing at about 70mph so I
took it up to about 80mph and immediately ran out of hill.....

  -Curt
  '85 190D "Dory" 244kmi