> You take a cylinder off that has a flexible hose that goes back to the pump.
> You have to get the whole hose out of the car to get the cylinder out.
> With hard lines, there would be a fitting at the cylinder you would unscrew
> and the cylinder comes right out.

Separate axes.  Hard or flexible, a line _could_ be made with a collar fitting.
For brakes, the flexible lines screw in directly.  But, they _could_ be made to
have collars that came apart without bodily unscrewing the whole flexible line,
like LP flexible lines do, and I believe like the flexible lines on my Unimog's
HIAB crane.  (And like hard brake lines.)

It's an engineering choice, and not inherent.

-- Jim