I went to look at this 95E420 and stole it out from under Kaleb after a bit of
negotiation. I mostly wanted the AMG wheels (with 10yo Continental tars with
some usable tread) for the 92 400E but it has other good bits too and the
catholic conversions are still on it.  It’s not in bad shape but apparently the
engine was not running.  Overall I guess it wasn’t a bad deal, a bit more than
I would generally pay but the wheels are worth a good amount. They’ll need new
paint but weren’t dinged.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/345688404493236/?mibextid=6ojiHh

The guy was really nice and said he was restoring a 190E Cosworth that was at a
buddy’s shop having some engine work done. Showed me a picture of it, looked
really nice. He teaches auto body work at the local community college there. I
wish he was closer!

His wife came out and we were chatting and asked where I was from. I told her
and the guy says he did some body work on a VW bus he sold to a guy called
Derek from there. Turns out Derek is a friend of mine. The guy shows me this
old video of them coming to pick up the bus. That was really cool.  Small
world.

I’ll have to come back up to pick up the E420 next weekend as I’ve got the $600
99E320 on the trailer and going to Bristol TN tomorrow to swap it for a crank
no start 06E350 in very nice condition with AMG stuff and they’re giving me
$500 too. Good deal!  I’m taking a crank position sensor to swap onto it to see
if maybe that’s what’s keeping it from starting. I’m not sure the balance shaft
has failed on it but maybe.

Got 13.2mpg in the GL450 towing the car at 70ish most of the way to my
daughter’s about 220mi. That’s down from 19-20 it generally gets. Will be worse
tomorrow in the mountains.

--FT
Sent from iFōn