On my 79 TD, the LP switch (if I remember right) is down low on the left on the refrigerant pipe, I think there is a fitting there with the referenced device, and a wire(s) coming out of it. I think it traces back to the compressor. It is fairly easy to get at, and to see if it is open/closed with an ohmeter. I recall that testing this device and jumping it was how I determined that my system was actually working and that it was low refrigerant that was keeping it from working (contrary to what the former owner/Benz mech told me). Alas, a gas leak kept it from working for more than a day after I put some more in it.

--R

Zeitgeist wrote:

Thanks Joe!

So, is it possible that the compressor clutch is always engaged whenever the
key is switched on, due to a faulty low pressure switch or compressor
relay?  Remember, this system presently has no refrigerant, so I assume the
compressor shouldn't be allowed to operate--correct?  Anyone know where the
low pressure switch and/or relay reside on an '84 300D?

TIA

Casey
Olympia, WA
Biodiesel: "I drive in a persistent vegetative state"
'87 300TD intercooler #22 (216k)
'84 300D (214k)
Gashuffer:
'89 Vanagon Wolfsburg Edition (187K)