Mrs. Dan’s 2003 E320 needed rear brakes, probably for the first time (119k on
the clock). I went to the dealer and picked up a set of rotors and pads for a
whopping $160 total. Nice!

Started on the left rear a couple of weeks ago. The rotor was not going to come
loose. I soaked the area around the flange and rotor as best I could with the
proverbial 50/50 mix of ATF and acetone and put everything back together.

Today I took another swing at it, and before doing so, I stopped by my nearby
HF store and picked up a 5-ton hydraulic three-jaw puller.

Got the left rear in the air, the wheel off, and soaked it some more for about
30 minutes. Then, using an 18” pry bar, I put pressure on the back of the rotor
and tapped it repeatedly using a 1 lb. ball peen hammer around the hub and on
the face of the hub, after which about a minute, it popped loose at one side
and then came off. Huzzah! I took care of replacing the pads, pressing the
piston back, using MB brake paste on all friction points, etc., etc.

Moved over to the right rear. I had not prepped it previously, so it was more
or less the same as the other side two weeks ago. I soaked everything with the
“majik oyl” and let it sit for maybe 30 minutes if that. Again, with the pry
bar and tapping. Maybe 40 seconds and it yielded! Swapped all the bits out,
pressed in the piston, greased all the new stuff up and installed.

Put the car down and torqued the wheel bolts.

I need to take a look at the fronts tomorrow…after which I’ll return the HF
hydraulic puller...

-D