BTW, Midwest Energy and Communications buried fiber in my neighborhood this week and it appears they finished this afternoon.

I thought the stake layout meant the trunk line was crossing the road at my east property line and running across my yard to the west, but it turned out they buried the main fiber on the farm across the road, then bored under the road today and buried a junction box near my east line. And while the stake was on the line, the installers moved it a few feet east so they never touched my property. Which is good, because they had a bit of a problem and sprayed a substantial quantity of hydraulic oil on the grass. I don't think Mustang is a premium brand for excavators.

I still question how they can even run the stuff with no notice to the landowners and no easements. ATT and Consumers Energy have easements here, and the county has a 33' right of way. I'm guessing that the county sold them an easement on the right of way, but I don't see how that's legal.

The woman behind me (house 800' from the road, my yard is 525' deep) said that they'd hook up for $100 if you signed up in advance (they still haven't contacted me to this day) and it would have been $1500-2000 to hook up if she did it later. She's the only one who cares, she's got everything up to and including her vacuum connected to 10mbs DSL and says all her devices are laggy. I get along just fine with either DSL or 4G cellular but all I do is read email, browse web pages, and watch the occasional youtube.